THE PRINCE KŪHIŌ HAWAIIAN CIVIC CLUB
UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS
Terms and Conditions
Only completed applications submitted by the deadline will be considered. Recipients must re-apply for a scholarship award each year and meet all eligibility requirements. The award is non-transferable to another recipient or academic year. Prince Kūhiō Hawaiian Civic Club-Scholarship Fund (PKHCC-SF) may request the submission of a completed IRS form 4506-T Request for Transcript of Tax Form as determined to verify applicant’s financial data if in the U.S. or similar if outside of the U.S. Award amount and Terms and Conditions may change from year-to-year and the amount is subject to the availability of funds. The award amount may be adjusted if PKHCC-SF receives information after the initial award that affects award determination or calculation. Examples of information may include, but is not limited to, a change in the recipient’s current program, change in post-high institution, change in the number of credits taken, etc. Failure to meet the Terms and Conditions as stated may cause the recipient to be disqualified for consideration under the program in subsequent years. Each recipient will be partnered with a Mentor that is affiliated with PKHCC-SF. Preference is given to applicants of Hawaiian ancestry and members or member relatives of the Prince Kūhiō Hawaiian Civic Club to the extent permitted by law. Preference will also be given to previous recipients that have fulfilled all prior recipient kuleana (responsibilities). Any lawsuit or claim against PKHCC-SF must be brought exclusively in the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai‘i or in the state courts of the State of Hawai‘i. Any federal claims shall be governed exclusively by the federal law applied by the U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai‘i, and any state law claims shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the State of Hawai‘i, without reference to its conflict of law rules.
USE OF FUNDS
Award amount must be used for educational purposes only. Thesis, research, or major writing projects are covered by this scholarship program. Practicums that are part of the academic curriculum and a requirement for graduation are covered by this scholarship program. Travel required for recipient’s educational program, academic conferences, and for research purposes are covered by this scholarship program. PKHCC-SF will terminate funding for recipients who are enrolled part-time. Students who experience extenuating circumstances (e.g., hospitalization, jury duty, military obligations, etc.) that require them to be enrolled part-time or to take a leave of absence may continue to receive funding on an individual case basis.
Disbursement check(s) are made payable to the recipient and are distributed at the awards ceremony each year. If the recipient cannot make the awards ceremony, then the recipient must make arrangements for delivery. Verification of recipients enrollment status is a condition of the disbursement.
Unclaimed or returned disbursement checks will not be re-issued unless appropriate and timely documentation (as determined by PKHCC-SF) is received. Disbursements are made only when completion of all requirements have been met.
RECIPIENT KULEANA (RESPONSIBILITIES)
Failure to complete recipient kuleana (responsibilities) will cause the award disbursements to be held, cancelled and/or rescinded.
The following are the responsibility of the recipient:
- Attend the Award Ceremony to receive the award disbursement. Only in exceptional circumstances will disbursement of the award be allowed outside of the Award Ceremony with prior approval from the Scholarship Chair.
- Hold membership in a Civic Organization that has a mission to honor and perpetuate the legacy of Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalaniʻanaole. The qualification of such a Civic Organization is totally within the discretion of PKHCC-SF.
- Each recipient is offered a career and/or academic mentor(s) that is an affiliate of PKHCC-SF. The Scholarship Chair will facilitate the selection of a mentor or mentors.
- Provide up-to-date contact information (e.g., address, phone number(s), e-mail address, etc.) to PKHCC-SF
- Send written updates within 30 days of noted change
- Submit college transcripts no later than 30 days after the end of each funded academic term
- Submit current semester schedule within 30 days after the start of current semester (e.g., spring 2018 award will not be disbursed unless fall 2017 transcript and spring 2018 schedule is submitted)
- Provide an end of semester reflection piece
- E-mail updates, college transcripts, and inquiries to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If the recipient is experiencing extenuating circumstances (e.g., hospitalization, jury duty, military obligations, etc.) that requires the recipient to be enrolled part-time or to take a leave of absence that impact the recipient’s kuleana (responsibilities), the recipient must communicate with the Scholarship Chair as soon as possible. The recipient may continue to receive funding on an individual case basis, but the occurrence of an extenuating circumstance does not exempt the recipient from the recipient kuleana (responsibilities), nor guarantee that an award will be disbursed if the responsibilities are not met.
Academics and Research Focus
- Attend an undergraduate level program(s), or equivalent, at an accredited post-high institution
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) of a C, 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, pass with merit, or similarly equivalent grade, subject to the following:
- SAP will be determined at the end of each academic term;
- Failure to maintain SAP will result in the recipient being placed on Provisional award status (a condition placed on award eligibility and disbursement) for the following academic term or, ultimately, award suspension and/or termination;
- If a recipient’s award is suspended or terminated due to failure to maintain SAP for two (2) consecutive terms, he/she may not be eligible for a scholarship in subsequent academic years;
- Recipient award may be terminated if the recipient fails any single course; and
- Determination of SAP is totally within the discretion of PKHCC-SF
Failure to comply with the recipient kuleana (responsibilities) may result in delayed disbursements and, ultimately, award suspension and/or termination.
PKHCC-SF reserves the right to request repayment of awarded funds or cancel/suspend awards if PKHCC-SF determines that the recipient has not met the Terms and Conditions of the award, has provided fraudulent information, or if PKHCC-SF receives information after initial awarding that affects award determination or calculation.
Repayment must be made in full before any additional funds will be disbursed for the academic year of award or any subsequent years.
MAXIMUM ELIGIBILITY TERM
Recipient may receive awards only if he/she does not exceed the maximum eligibility term of five (5) years for funding which is allowed to complete their desired degree(s). If the recipient receives funding from PKHCC-SF beyond that of five (5) years, the award may be cancelled or rescinded for any or no reason and at anytime.
All award decisions of the PKHCC-SF Scholarship Committee are final, subject to a review by the President of PKHCC-SF. If the applicant or recipient feels that the PKHCC-SF Scholarship Committee has made a non-substantive and/or procedural error in their decision, the applicant or recipient may appeal to the President. The President shall only review the application for compliance with the Terms and Conditions.
All appeals must be received in writing within 30 days of the decision of the Scholarship Committee. All appeal requests must be made to: email@example.com All decisions by the President are final.